Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce and parcel shipping volumes are exploding but so are customer expectations about shipping speed and cost. Managing shipping and logistics operations to meet increasingly exacting demands is an extremely hard endeavor, especially for SMBs who can be left in the dust by larger and far more sophisticated competitors. But this does not have to be so.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses with access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise. We lower the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world, and move shipping from a pain point to a competitive advantage.
Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, from fast-growing brands to mom-and-pop shops are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard, and seamlessly run every aspect of their shipping operations, from checkout shipping options to returns.
Join us to build the foundations of something hard yet meaningful, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, and funded by top-tier investors likeD1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, we are a fast-growing and proudly distributed Unicorn with hubs in San Francisco and Austin. We are also featured in Wealthfront’s Career Launching List and Forbes’ Cloud 100 list of fast growing startups.
About the Role
We're looking for a software engineer to work on exciting backend features that will impact the Shippo platform. Your role will give you end-to-end ownership over the design, implementation and maintenance of carrier data reconciliation services and give you the knowledge and responsibility of how it runs and scales in production.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy our carrier data reconciliation services with high SLAs and that can handle terabytes of data volume a day
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through the data reconciliation framework based on our new data platform foundations
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of our data reconciliation systems in response time and throughput
- Design and maintain database schema for the large scale data reconciliation services
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Collaborate with data engineering and product teams and provide early input to new product ideas and functionality
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Python, GO, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience designing and implementing data systems using data technologies and concepts (e.g., Airflow, Kafka, EMR/Hadoop, Spark, PostgreSQL)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with PySpark programming language
- Experience with implementing data pipeline and ETL process
- Experience with Big Data frameworks such as AWS EMR, Hadoop, MapReduce and associated tools
- Experience building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Kinesis Stream, Kafka or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Cloud Formation, IAM, etc.
Salary range reflected is an estimate of base pay and is for the primary location of San Francisco. Pay Range: $150,000 - $220,000. Base pay range may vary if an offer is made for work in a different location or a candidate with a different level of skill and experience.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage for you and your dependents. Pets coverage is also available!
- Flexible policy for PTO and work arrangement
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 annual learning stipend for your personal and professional growth
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Free daily catered lunch, drinks, and snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!
Please let Shippo know you found this position on Remotely We Code as a way to support us.