About the job
Almanac is building the operating system for remote work; replacing meetings with flexible, asynchronous workflows. We embrace the magic of version control to further improve transparency and quick feedback in teams. You can think of us as GitHub for docs.
You will be part of our editor team, responsible for ensuring that the core writing experience for our customers is fast, robust, and powerful. The Almanac editor is the most complex part of our frontend and requires a high level of quality and attention to detail. It is also the heart of our product, with version control, comments, and multi-user real-time editing all depending upon it.
- You have the ability to drop down to Vanilla JS for writing plugins, when necessary.
- You have strong experience with either React, Angular, or Vue.
- You have production experience with Node.js.
- You are comfortable writing automated tests and working with TypeScript.
- You have an interest in, or experience with, Ruby as a backend language.
- You are confident working with SQL and relational databases (ideally, Postgres).
- You value excellence in communication, planning, and organising work. You can take an idea and come back with timelines, tradeoffs and sequencing. You relish good communication and understand how important it is in a remote team. You thrive on regular feedback on how you can be better.
- You work in these timezones: UTC-8 to UTC+1 (essentially, anywhere from San Francisco to Central Europe).
Other experience that will make you stand out
- Experience with Ruby.
- Confidence in understanding and fine-tuning diffing algorithms.
- Knowing your CRDT from your OT.
- Previous experience working on real-time systems, WebSockets, ProseMirror or a similar collaborative editing framework.
- A zeal for version control.
What you might work on
- Widening our vision for version control by exploring the most effective means of diffing, merging, and resolving conflicts in documents.
- Expanding the functionality of the editor with new formatting options, better shortcuts, and more integrations.
- Fine-tuning and streamlining some of the most important editing flows to make our users more productive
- Improving the browser and real-time performance of the editor.
- Improving our infrastructure around WebSockets, Node.js, and the editor itself.
- Supporting features that are tightly connected to the editor: inline comments, tasks, smart mentions etc.
At Almanac, we’re looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We are fundamental optimists who believe we’re still only at the start of the digital age. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions and the status quo. Join us.
Our engineering team is 100% remote and distributed across the world. We value excellence and talk the talk by working async as often as possible.
React, ProseMirror, Redux, Node.js, Rails 5.2, Postgres 10.6, AnyCable, Algolia, Heroku, Cypress.
Apply for the job
Please let Almanac know you found this position on Remotely We Code as a way to support us.