At Facebook Connectivity, we believe that connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. This is why we are developing new platforms and solutions for connectivity.
The Magma team at Facebook Connectivity is responsible for building a low cost, highly distributed and performant, converged core networking platform for wireless access. Radio access technologies and OSS/BSS functions supporting 4G, 5G, CBRS, WiFi, etc. are supported over this converged core solution following modern system architecture, interface design, and state distribution principles.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join our team and take ownership of the critical system components that particularly interfaces with RAN nodes, operator owned third party core network functions or OSS/BSS functions. Since Magma software is an open source project, the candidate will also have a substantial impact in establishing the best software development practices inside and outside the Facebook team. The majority of development is in C/C++, Python and Golang.
Software Engineer, Connectivity Responsibilities
- Scope and design new features for extending 4G/5G services over the Magma platform in coordination with the other software engineers and partner engineers.
- Extend the existing or add new 4G/5G standard interfaces with RAN nodes, other core network functions, and OSS/BSS functions (e.g., S1, N1, N2, N3, Gx, Gy, etc.) and translate 3GPP-specific procedures for access, session management, policy management, subscriber management, etc., to Magma’s internal processing and microservice based architecture.
- Take ownership of major code development and work effectively with the team members to deliver features in a timely manner in a fast paced environment.
- Enhance the test coverage (unit, functional and integration) of the existing and new Magma services.
- Find the root causes for the field issues as the owner of the product and provide fixes on a timely basis.
- Identify performance and reliability issues of the platform in a self-driven manner, propose solutions and drive execution.
- 5+ years of software development experience for mobile core network infrastructure.
- Fundamentals in the design and development of network functions.
- Understanding of 4G and 5G mobile networks, functions and services.
- Solid C/C++ development skills. Previous experience or open to learning Python and Golang.
- Experience debugging issues from logs and traces collected from live networks.
- Experience designing test and validation plans for networking protocols.
- Solid understanding of policy, mobility, session and subscriber management in 3GPP systems for LTE and 5GC. Recent development experience in one or more of these areas.
- Knowledge and working experience on SDN, NFV, network orchestration, network measurements, and edge computing.
About the Facebook company
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Please let Facebook know you found this position on Remotely We Code as a way to support us.